The Castle of Brancion

According to the legend, the history of Brancion dates back to before the 7th century, however an authentic charter dates it back to the fifth century. During 300 years in the hands of the family Brancion, the castle was impenetrable and invincible. The family was also known under the name of "Gros" (Big). Up to the 12th century they became rich by fighting and looting. According to Joinville, Jocerand de Brancion and Saint Louis died in the battle of Mansourah during the crusades. The 12th Count of Brancion was ruined after setting up an army to fight against the "Infidèle" (*) in the middle east. In 1259, he sold his domain to the Duke of Bourgogne.

 (*) Heathens guarding the Holly Place in Jerusalem. (Translator's note)

For 218 years, Brancion remained a Châtellerie Ducale and then was attached to the French Crown in 1477. In 1860 the Count of Murard and his family took over Brancion which had fallen to wreck and ruin. They considered it their duty to restore the walls and rebuild the dungeon with the fervent wish to safeguard this illustrious heritage as a witness of our history of the Bourgogne.

 Now it is up to all those who love and wish to preserve the vestiges of the past to share the upkeep of this famous place of our province.

Thanks to the entrance fees, to the permission to take photos (not allowed for commercial or public purposes) and to the sale of postcards, it is possible to carry out urgent repairs and to maintain the general upkeep of the buildings.

 The entire domain of Brancion is protected by the " Monuments Historiques" and every visitor is asked to show respect in order to maintain the beauty of these monuments.

Visiting Hours of the Castle and Tariffs

The Castle is open every day from
- April 7 to September 30: 10 a.m to 12.30 a.m and from 1 p.m to 6.30 p.m
- October 1 to November 11: 10.30 a.m to 17 p.m.

Tariffs: Full tariff without guide: 6 €
Full tariff with audioguide: 7 € ( in French, English and German)
From 5 to 16 years: 3 €
Under 5 years: no charge.

During the months of July and August every Friday and Saturday open till 8.30 p.m.
Children from 6 to 12: "Kids adventure": Visits in costumes and games to find "Wera" the mouse of Brancion, plus a surprise if all the questions are answered correctly.